Saturday, September 30, 2006

We're still alive

Just in case any of you were watching the news and worried, knowing we were in Vietnam, no, the typhoon didn't even come close to us. It hit central Vietnam, and we're in Southern Vietnam. We went to Can Tho on the Mekong River delta in the very south, and tomorrow we go back to Ho Chi Minh City. We got a little rain, but nothing that would require an umbrella.

More stuff later. Most of the report of what's going on will have to wait until Tuesday, when I can upload my photos onto this blog. But I'll probably post something short when we get back to Ho Chi Minh City. The internet cafe there was challenging because it was set to a Vietnamese keyboard input, which means that when you type certain combinations of letters, it transforms those letters into letters with accents.

You'll see what I mean on the next blog entry.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Blogger Kevin Iga said...

This is not enough for a post, so I'll post a comment. It seems there are several methods of putting accents on characters. Last time I was at this internet cafe, I got a computer set up so that when you typed "er" you got e with a funny accent, and more generally, there were lots of character combinations that resulted in accents.

Now I'm at one where you need to type a number to get an accent, like this: Héy èvẽrỷbỗdỳ, ịsn't thĩs wệird?

Those you get by typing a letter then a number. Much easier to use when you're not writing in English.
But I can now say where we stayed when we went to the Mekong delta: the city of Cần Thơ. That's pronounced "con tuh" except not quite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home